Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Semiya Kheer

'Rain rain go to Spain' or wherever - was how i greeted the rain gods early this monsoon. Come on, I didnt want to miss those evening walks with hubby and little K. Besides K was just beginning to get a hang of what dogs look like, how trees sway and how my momma drools at the sight of the cake shop...LOL

Well, eventually the rains did an about turn and mumbaites writhed like a fish out of water with daily powercuts and watercuts. My hubby used to glare at me everytime he had to bathe in cold water. Oh come on, it can't be because of me.

And yes finally the good news. It had been pouring since the last three days only for people (and news channels) to wonder whether there will be a encore of 26/7. Alas! men will be men.

This weekend, the weather had become extremely pleasant. It was raining through out and the temperature suddenly dipped. I remembered my school / college days when the only thing I loved to do when it rained was to sit by the window, put on warm clothes, sip chai and read a book. Now I had no time to stand and stare (or eat!) for we had guests over and I was busy making tea & onion bhajiyas (That's another story, another post).

Late in the evening I craved for something sweet. Kheer perhaps...warm and mildly sweet...to sit by the window, stare and eat. I chanced upon the vermicilli packet in the pantry and quickly got into the task.




Here's what you need....(serve size- 3)

Vermicilli - 50 gms

Milk - 1/2 litre

Sugar - 5 tbsps

Ghee - 1 tbsp

Cardamom powder - a pinch

Few saffron strands

Almonds, Cashews, Pistas - slivered


Fry the slivered dry fruits in ghee and set aside. Fry vermicilli in ghee till golden brown. Add milk little by little till the vermicilli is completly cooked. Switch off the gas and then add sugar. Garnish with saffron strands and dry fruits.

Few points:

1. This method is for those who love thick, creamy kheer. If you like the consistency to be more watery then you can cook the vermicilli in water and then add to the milk.

2. The reason behind adding sugar after removing the vessel from the flame is that, sometimes (in rare cases) the milk might curdle. Anyways, since the kheer will be hot, sugar will dissolve.

3. You can add more sugar as per your taste. I like my kheer to be mildly sweet.

4. You can also add raisins to the above list of dry fruits ( I am not too fond of raisins in kheer)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks delicious !